Quilt Festival

Friday, October 9, 2009

So Amy over at Park City Girl is hosting an online Quilt Festival. We're suppose to share a quilt - any size, any style. So here is mine. This is called Sugar & Spice and it has a little story (not to mention a pattern available :). It might be my favorite that I've made in the 11 years I've been quilting. It's dear to my heart and has some good memories that go along with it!


For the last couple of years, I have been thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up. For a while I dreamt of owning a fabric shop. But, with my experience as the manager of an interior design store, I realized that it would take more time and money than I was willing to take away from my family. So I asked myself, "What can I do that will involve my two passions - being a stay-at-home-mom and quilting?" I quickly decided that the perfect job for me was designing quilt patterns. Time passed. Then I won a little contest over at moda's fabricmatcher.com. I don't claim to be awesome because I won that contest, but it gave me a little jumping off point. Moda & Joanna Figuero (from Fig Tree Quilts) sent me a wonderful package of two fat-quarter bundles & some patterns. I was so excited to start in on some of the patterns I received, until my husband said, "Why don't you do one of your own designs?" Hesitantly I agreed that he was right. It was time to start this new journey and so I created this design. With the support of some good friends and a great husband, I have created three designs this year, which are being printed as we speak. Hopefully next week I will be ready to share them all with you!

I am anxious and excited to start sharing my patterns. My company name is called Gigi's Thimble (named after my Grandmother who taught me how to quilt). For the launch of my new company, I am cooking up some fun packages to giveaway (including sets of my first 3 patterns!) so please check back next week.

32 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful - you did such a great job designing the pattern. I actually made up the patterns for the two I blogged about for the Festival too.

    Isn't Joanna over at Fig Tree just great? I love her fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, this is a beautiful quilt. Just looks like one that would be nice to snuggle up with.

    Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I like the angled edges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm so (sew?) excited for you and can't wait to see your patterns.

    Beautiful quilt! I love the shape of the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! And like I told you earlier, I'm so excited for your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt too and now I like it even better knowing its one of your own designs! Can't wait to see your new products, I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you are launching your patterns! We just got the new Amy Butler fabric in at the shop and I so want to do your medallion pattern with them.

    Let me know if I can help fold and load. A pattern party of sorts & I'll bring hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt pattern and look forward to seeing the others too. good luck with the start of your new life adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very nice quilt. Can't wait to see you patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt Amber the shaped edges are a refreshing change. Good luck with your designing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This quilt is beautiful! Such a lovely design. I will definitely check back to see your patterns.

    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty quilt. I will be checking back for the patterns. Good luck with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber i love it. after seeig another quilt you showed at quilt group last month. I thought the same thing. that you should design. love the name and everything. i need to come over some time and see all your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Love the pattern and the colors. Best of luck with starting your own pattern company! My dream job! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great design! Good luck on your venture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt. It's beautiful. You did an amazing job designing it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, it's beautiful! Can't wait for the pattern, I will definitely have to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt! And congratulations on your patterns!
    I'll be checking back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a beautiful quilt! I really love your design. Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! The colours are to die for! Great design too! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the colors, looks like a lovely soft cuddly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OHMYGOSH! Am I going to be there for the launch??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt, colors and pattern. Good luck on your new venture. I look forward to seeing your new patterns. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful quilt...congrats on following your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you!! This is a beautiful quilt and I admire you for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wishing you all the best on this journey! How exciting for you! I can only imagine how fun it will be to see the finished patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE the journey that is quilting and that quilting is!!! Enjoy yours! ; )

    Your quilt is beautiful. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This quilt is beautiful! I need to look at some newer posts now to see how your pattern release is going :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I Love your quilt. The colors you chose along with the pattern simply is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber